Thursday, September 02, 2004

The GOP Lies, and the Press Help Them

Last night I joined the March on the Media. I am not good at estimating crowd size, but several hundred of us walked down Sixth Avenue chanting "Fox News lies," among other things. Like Dick Cheney, I felt better after I said it.

Once again we have to thank the Daily Howler for giving us the low down on Republican lies and the media's "go along to get along" routine. Today the Howler proves that the all but canonized Rudy Giuliani is just another no good lying Republican dog.

Now I feel much better.

Zell Miller

I had assumed that the Repugs bought off Zell Miller somehow, but now I am convinced that he is also stark raving mad. The Howler also gives us this eye opener from Miller's book A National Party No More: The Conscience of a Conservative Democrat.

"[M]y conscience travels with me everywhere I go, like some unwelcome inner companion. I cannot escape him and is he tough. He is on steroids, has a Black Belt and long fingernails, and stomps around inside of me, sometimes in hobnailed boots. He’s been there as long as I can remember. Although it’s getting tougher and tougher for me to blow out all the candles on my birthday cake, he just grows stronger—and louder."

Last night Miller scared away those moderate swing voters the GOP covets so badly. Even lap dogs like David Gergen and Joe Klein were taken aback. First Miller told us that the military is responsible for American freedom. Um, earth to Miller, but I don't think we have a Civil Rights Act because of the Marines. It is extremely dangerous, dare I say fascist, for Americans to believe that their liberties are the result of military might. We have freedoms because we, the civilian population, fight for and protect them.

Miller's over the top performance wasn't bad enough. The insanity continued when he went on the talking head circuit and ended up challenging Bush-lover Chris Matthews to a duel. Read about it in Salon.